International Students


After you Apply...

As an international student, there are a number of actions you will need to take to ensure a smooth transfer from your home country to Perth before you begin your journey on campus towards your Curtin Degree.

If you have not yet applied to the College, you will need to visit the "Apply Now" page in the first instance.

Once you have accepted your offer, paid your fees and received an eCoe, these are the next steps:

Step 1: Organise Student Visa and immigration requirements


Applying for a Student Visa

Before being able to study in Australia international students must obtain a valid student visa. This visa is issued by Australian Diplomatic Missions and application must be made directly to the nearest Consulate or Embassy. Curtin College's local agents are fully conversant with the application process and students are encouraged to use the services provided by our agents.

The main documents required when applying for a student visa are:

  • Letter of Offer from Curtin College

  • Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). CoEs are issued by the College upon receipt of relevant fees and charges.

  • Results of a medical examination

  • Proof that OSHC has been arranged

  • Proof of financial capability to pay tuition fees and living expenses.

Visa Regulations

All international students (i.e. students who are not Australian Citizens, Permanent Residents, Temporary Residents, among others) must be in possession of a current student visa while they are studying in Australia. Student visas are granted with certain conditions attached.

Curtin College is obliged under Australian Legislation to notify the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) immediately when it becomes aware that any breach of a student visa exists.

As an overseas student on a student visa, it is important that you read the following documents issues by the Australian Government:

Country Assessment Levels

Before student visas are granted the Australian government takes into consideration the assessment level that has been assigned to the country of citizenship of the student applying. An assessment level determines exactly what criteria need to be applied when considering an application for a student visa.

Those students who are citizens of countries to which an assessment level of either 3 or 4 has been attached need to undergo a process called Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA). The process can take from four to six weeks, so it is important to start this process early.

There is no need to pay fees and charges prior to starting the PVA process. If the PVA has been favourable, the student will receive a letter from their Australian Embassy or Consulate saying that they should proceed to pay tuition fees to the education provider.

Students wishing to study at Curtin College should not pay fees until they have received the favourable PVA from their Australian Embassy or High Commission. CoEs will be issued to students from Assessment Level 3 and 4 countries only when the favourable PVA document has been received and fees paid.

Students from assessment level 1 or 2 countries are not required to undergo the PVA process. However in most cases they still need to gain a student Visa to complete their Higher Education in Australia

Further information about applying for a student visa, Country Assessment Levels and student visa conditions can be obtained on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

Another excellent source of information is the Study in Australia website.

Step 2: Arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)


International students are required to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) at all times while studying in Australia. OSHC helps minimise the costs of medical expenses incurred while in Australia. Curtin College's preferred provider is Allianz Global Assistance.

Effective 1st July 2010 students are obliged to pay the total cost of basic cover for the proposed duration of their visit. There is a Overseas Student Health Cover - Frequently Asked Questions document that students can view on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's website.

Details and fees can also be obtained from the OSHC Worldcare website or email Curtin College.

Step 3: Arrange your Accommodation & Free Airport Pick-up


Finding suitable accommodation is a high priority for new students. Curtin College has a third party provider to assist students in finding the most appropriate accommodation available to suit their requirements. The provider also arranges a free airport pick-up for new students who arrive in Perth for the first time. For more information, visit the Accommodation page.

Step 4: Book flights and Pack


Once you have confirmed your enrolment at Curtin College, it is advisable to book your flights early. It is recommended you arrive at least two weeks before Orientation to give yourself time to settle into your accommodation and adjust to your new environment and complete other necessary tasks such as opening a bank account, finding out travel routes to campus and other important actions.

International students arriving for the first time are met at the airport, free of charge, and transferred to their accommodation. Students wishing to use this service need to advise Curtin College or their local agent in writing (fax or email) well in advance of arrival. To request airport pick up, please contact Perth Student Accomodation.

Before you pack your bags, you need to be aware that there are strict restrictions on goods into Australia. These include animal and plant material, food, wildlife, drugs and medicinal products, firearms and more than A$10,000 of currency. Please take the time to read this important link on what you cannot bring into Australia. All food items that you are allowed to bring in will need to be declared to immigation.

Step 5: Find out about living in Perth


About Perth

Perth is the capital of the state of Western Australia and is located on the Indian Ocean coast. The state's population is just over 2 million, and most people (over 1.6 million) live in Perth.

Perth shares the same time zone as Singapore, Hong Kong, China and Malaysia and there is only a one-hour time difference between Perth and Indonesia, Thailand, Korea and Vietnam. As a major gateway city to Asia, numerous daily flights depart Perth directly to a number of Asia's major centres. The City of Perth is proud to be home to people from Asia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East, each providing a fascinating insight into a wealth of cultures. A safe, clean and affordable city, Perth offers a healthy, relaxed environment where students can feel welcome and excel in their studies.

Quick facts about Perth:

  • Fast growing city with a young, cosmopolitan outlook.

  • Regularly ranked in top 20 most liveable cities in the world.

  • Natural beauty, relaxed atmosphere, clean and modern facilities.

  • Excellent transport and infrastructure.

  • Low unemployment rate and high levels of economic growth.


Perth's climate is best described as Mediterranean. In addition to warm, pleasant summers and cool winters, Perth experiences more hours of sunshine than any other capital city in Australia.


Summer December to February
Average summer temperature 18-30 degrees Celsius
Autumn March to May
Winter June to August
Average winter temperature 7-16 degrees Celsius
Spring September to November

Students will need lightweight clothing to remain cool in summer and appropriate warm clothing for winter - "jeans, jumpers and jackets".

For further information on Perth's climate please visit the Study Perth website.


The currency used in Western Australia is the Australian dollar (AUD). When you arrive in Perth, one of the first things you should do is change your foreign currency or travelers' cheques into Australian dollars. You can do this at currency exchange points in the city centre and at most banks. If you have a bank card from your country, you should be able to use it to withdraw Australian dollars at most automatic teller machines (ATMs).

There are six coins: $2 and $1 are gold; and 50c, 20c, 10c and 5c are silver. There are five notes: $100, $50, $20 $10 and $5.

Opening a bank account

You should open a bank account as soon as you arrive in Perth.

You will need several forms of identification such as your passport, Student ID card and driver's licence. You may also need to provide a Tax File Number. Read about Working in Perth to find out more about a Tax File Number.

Our Australian banks provide specialised customer care and services to all international students.

Working in Perth

If you have a student visa, you will have the opportunity to work up to 40 hours per fortnight and full time during semester breaks.

There are casual jobs available throughout Perth in the areas of administration, hospitality, house-keeping/cleaning and retail. You can expect to earn between AU$6-20 per hour, depending on your age and the kind of work you do.

You can also tutor younger students in the field you are studying, or in your native language, and earn about AU$40 an hour.

Do note that your first priority in Perth should be your studies. If you decide to work part-time, start with a few hours a week until you are able to find a balance with your studies.

You should obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) if you are going to work part-time. You may also need a TFN to open a bank account. To apply, complete a form available from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website or an Australia Post office.

You will also need to lodge an income tax return, either through a registered tax agent or by completing it yourself. If you complete your own income tax return, ATO's e-tax is the fastest way to obtain a refund. In most cases this will be within 14 days.

Want more information?

There are a number of great websites that provide details about living in Perth and things you could do in Perth and Western Australia such as sightseeing and volunteering.

You could visit Study in Western Australia, which is an official government website for international students featuring useful information about living and studying in Perth.

Perth Education City is another website which provides detailed information for international students wanting to familiarise themselves with all things Perth.

We look forward to welcoming you to Perth at some stage!