Curtin College works together with Navitas Professional to provide students with internship placements, mentoring support, interview coaching sessions and career readiness workshops.
This collaboration offers you the opportunity to gain real-world experience with industry and valuable employability skills.You will be placed within our network of 3,000+ industry partners, from ASX 100 listed companies to small and medium enterprises spanning across 20+ industries in Australia.
What is a Curtin College internship?
Curtin College internships are temporary, unpaid positions within an organisation. The emphasis is on-the-job training.
Through an internship you will be able to:
- gain practical work experience to assist with your education and training,
- experience the Australian workplace and culture,
- practice what you have learnt throughout your studies,
- receive training and mentoring in a real life situation,
- enhance your resume and your career prospects,
- develop your professional network, and
- co-curricular work placement in addition to your formal studies.
An internship helps you to become job-ready by providing you with:
- one-on-one interview coaching,
- career readiness workshops,
- online access to resume creator software,
- a personalised training plan for internship program,
- mentoring support, and
- an internship placement.
- Biological research
- Business Administration
- Charities and Not-for-Profits
- Customer Service
- Environmental Science
- Event Management
- Graphic Design
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Market Research
- Public Relations
In order to apply for a Curtin College internship, you must:
- be a student at Curtin College,
- hold a valid student visa that allows you to study and work in Australia, and
- have less than 1 year of relevant work experience within Australia, or less than 5 years work experience overseas.
Follow these three steps to boost your future career opportunities:
- Complete the Expression of Interest or Contact Curtin College who will assist you through the sign-up process,
- Enrol into the internship program and commence employability skills training,
- Commence your guaranteed internship and gain hand-on industry experience.
My name is Dazhi and I studied Diploma of Engineering at Curtin College.
What made you decide to enrol in the internship program?
My main objective of enrolling in the internship program was to gain hands-on experience and building contacts within the Engineering industry. I built on my employability skills through developing resume writing and knowledge around Australian Workplace Culture. Previously, I had limited experience about the industry and the Australian workplace.
What would you say to others thinking of enrolling in the internship program?
The program was a great opportunity to gain experience and it went towards my academic credit for the workplace experience requirement. The workshops were useful and I am able to transfer these skills and knowledge to my job search and future employment. My mentor gave me a lot of useful advice and guidance in how to progress to the next stage of my career. I received positive feedback from my host company which added value to my resume and has agreed to be my referee.
What skills or insights did you gain from the program that you have applied in the ‘real world’?
Resume writing, effective communication, technical skills (modelling software, AutoCAD, Traffic Design, Excel). For example, with resume writing I am able to tailor the resume to the specific job I am applying for. I gained an insight to the Engineering industry and I knew I wanted to continue down this career path. By completing the Navitas Professional internship, I got greater insights into the on-the-job aspects and what principles are required – university gave me the knowledge base – I was then able to put my learnings into practice.
What as the highlight of your internship program with the host company?
My main highlights of the internship were projects I assisted on with the engineers. It gave me great exposure to project management. I have learnt a lot about designing models. I worked on a project for the local government, which further developed the strategy for urban planning. Another example is working on the traffic design – calculating the exact number of carriages to ensure minimal traffic congestion and ensuring the safety of pedestrians by calculating swept paths for heavy vehicles.
Do you feel more confident about your future prospects now that you have undertaken the internship program?
Certainly, I am more confident as I have experienced the workplace culture. The Navitas Professional internship program gave me a great way to stand out from my competition within the job market. I have started building my network and have kept in touch with the engineers, which allows me to further collaborate and discuss technical aspects of civil engineering. As an international student, I was disadvantaged to the competition. Participation in the Navitas Professional program gave me the required skills and knowledge and added further value to my resume. I was also able to sharpen my resume and fill the gaps between theory and practice.