Arriving in Perth

A big trip is always exciting, but it can also be stressful. Know what to expect on your arrival so you're feeling prepared.

COVID-19 and Advice for International Students

Delays to the reopening of Western Australia’s border and new directions for returning students were announced by the WA Government between Thursday 20 January 2022 and Saturday 29 January 2022.

See below for the latest update. FAQs will be updated as soon as we have more information available. Thanks for your patience, as we know it’s a very challenging and uncertain time for international students and the wider sector.

[Updated on 1 February 2022]


Students who want to enter Western Australia will need to arrive in another State of Australia by 12.01am Saturday 5 February 2022.

Students will need to have a full course of an approved COVID-19 vaccine (unless ineligible or exempt. This means students need to be triple dose vaccinated, if eligible (or double dose vaccinated if not eligible for a third dose).

Students will need to obtain a G2G pass approval and download the G2G Now app (unless an exempt child).

Students will need to self-quarantine for 14 days in suitable premises in Western Australia upon arrival (these directions also impose the usual requirements in relation to exposed household contacts).

You will need to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine at a suitable premises.

A suitable premises is a location where you and those travelling with you can live for up to 14 days without putting others at risk.

This means:

  • the person quarantining there has access to their own bedroom, and preferably their own bathroom, without the need to share them with any other person who is not also quarantining there
  • if the person is required to present for testing, they are close enough to a place where testing can occur in accordance with a direction to enable the person to comply with that direction
  • food and medication can be delivered as required without the need to come into contact with the person quarantining there.

You may not be granted entry to the state if you do not have a suitable self-quarantine address available.

Examples of suitable self-quarantine accommodation include Airbnb, a hotel room or an apartment, as long as you specify that you are going into self-quarantine.

Yes, you can contact the following hotels in Perth:

Crowne Plaza Perth

Standard rooms $125 room only (1 x Queen bed or 1 x Twin bed) per room per night.

Queen room with private balcony overlooking Langley Park & the Swan River $135 room only per room per night.

Minimum 14 night stay.

Optional: Breakfast for $15 per person per day or Full Board can be arranged for $72.50 per person per day.

Bookings must be made directly with the hotel for the International Student Special Offer by calling 61 8 9270 4244 or emailing

No, you must enter Perth/Western Australia via another Australian city. You will be subject to the specific quarantine requirements of the State or Territory of your arrival.

If you arrive in Australia after 5 February you won’t be able to enter Western Australia until the hard border restrictions are lifted. You have the option to study online at our Study Hub in Sydney or from your home country.

To enter Australia you must:

You must also comply with any specific quarantine requirements in the state or territory of your arrival, and any other state or territory to which you plan to travel.

International travellers will be required to submit an Australian Travel Declaration online with a copy of your vaccination certificate before your flight. This needs to be completed at least 72 hours before your flight.

You will then need to provide an International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC) or foreign vaccination certificate when you board your flight and again, on arrival in Australia. Further information can be viewed at the  Smartraveller website.

Travellers vaccinated outside Australia will be required to present certificates that meet the following criteria:

  • Issued by a national or state/provincial-level authority or an accredited vaccination provider
  • Written in English or accompanied by a certified translation

Must contain:

  • Name as it appears on traveller’s passport
  • Either date of both or passport number
  • The vaccine brand name, and
  • The date of each does or the date the full course of immunisation was completed

Both paper and digital certificates are acceptable.

No. Only students who are fully vaccinated with a vaccine recognised by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)can enter Australia.

Not for the following Australian states effective December 1, 2021:

  • Victoria
  • New South Wales
  • Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
  • Queensland
  • South Australia

While you do not require an exemption, when returning to Australia you will be required to complete and submit an Australian Travel Declaration online with a copy of your vaccination certificate before your flight. This must be completed at least 72 hours before your scheduled flight departure.

Students will be responsible for booking and paying for their own flights, as well as ensuring that they have all the documents necessary to comply with State and Federal requirements. Please refer to the ‘conditions of entry into Australia’ question.

Yes, you will need to hold a valid student visa to enter Australia.  Students can check their current visa status and the expiry date of their visa through VEVO or their ImmiAccount.

Students can also use their ImmiAccount to apply for a new visa if theirs has already expired or is close to expiring.  For further information, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

It depends. If you arrive in Australia before 12.01am on 5 February, it doesn’t matter which city you arrive into. You will be able to enter Western Australia (as long as you meet all the entry requirements for Western Australia as listed in previous section).

If you arrive in Australia after 12.01am on 5 February, you will not be able to travel to Western Australia until the hard border restrictions are lifted. We suggest you arrive in Sydney so that you can study with other students at our Study Hub.

If you get a PCR test at a public health facility, mobile testing centre or GP medical practice that offers bulk billing, you won’t have to pay for the test. You might have to pay to see your GP if they don’t offer bulk billing, but the test itself is free.

Rapid antigen tests usually cost between $10 and $15 per test, but may be free in some cases.

You will need to bring at least one form of identification, such as your passport or student ID. You’ll also need to provide your contact details so you can get your test results.


You will need to contact your accommodation provider directly.

If you have booked with UniLodge you can contact them via email at, they will help you delay your start date.

In Sydney you can choose to book an AirBnB or book a room at one of our accommodation partners. We recommend Scape Redfern and Campus Living Villages.

No, unfortunately accommodation and living expenses need to be covered by students. However, Curtin College will reimburse students who join the Study Hub for a one-way economy ticket (capped at A$400).


The Curtin College Study Hub has been set-up for international students that cannot enter WA. It is a place where they can study and connect with other students.

Students study online amongst their peers and are able to connect through social activities, excursions and information sessions.

The Study Hub is located in the heart of Sydney on Elizabeth Street.

Classes will still be online, however you will be studying with other students and participate in social activities.

Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities in a thriving, diverse and innovative learning environment – in the centre of the city.

You will have high-speed Wi-Fi, vibrant areas for social activities and access to the online library.

Yes, as soon as the WA hard border restrictions are lifted we will work with you to transition you to our Perth campus.

Students will need to organise their own flight from Sydney to Perth. Curtin College will reimburse students for a one-way flight (capped at A$400).

The Study Hub is just an option so you can enjoy learning among other students.

If you prefer to continue your studies from your home country we will continue to support you and deliver classes online.

Making travel arrangements

Book your flight to Perth before Orientation

After your student visa has been granted, you should make arrangements to travel to Perth, arriving at least one week before Orientation. This will ensure you have time to familiarise yourself with your surroundings and have a chance to settle in. You must be enrolled in class by the start of Week 1.

If there is a reason why you cannot arrive in time for Orientation, contact the Curtin College admissions team. If you arrive at the airport after your start date, you may experience difficulties with the immigration authorities.

Before you pack your bags, remember that there are strict restrictions on what you may bring into Australia. These include animal and plant material, food, wildlife, drugs and medicinal products, firearms and more than AUD$10,000 of currency.

Find out what you are allowed to bring with you into Australia

Airport assistance & pickup service

Help resources you can find at the airport

If you are an international student arriving for the first time, you have the option of being met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation. This service can be arranged with the College via local agents and is a free service. If you request a transfer but fail to use it, you will be charged an airport pick-up fee of AUD$65.

Note: If you only require airport pickup – and no homestay accommodation – complete the form and add a note that you only wish to book airport pickup.

Arrange Airport Pick Up

Once you’ve arrived

Getting to know your way around

Once you have settled into your accommodation, you should find out how get to Curtin College.

The College’s address is: Building 205, Curtin University Kent Street, Bentley.

Building 205 is at the southern end of Curtin’s Bentley campus and is clearly marked on the maps posted around campus. Curtin University is located approximately 10 kilometres south of Perth city centre. The University has its own bus station.

Find more ways to get to Curtin College