Skip to main content

Entry Options

To gain entry into a Curtin College course, you must meet the academic, English language and pre-requisite entry requirements.

When assessing your Curtin College application, we may also consider the following:

  • Results from recent secondary education studies (within the last 2 years).
  • Results from higher education studies.
  • Previous work and/or life experience, such as work experience, workplace training or other informal studies.
  • Previously completed Vocational Education and Training (VET).
  • Results from any overseas qualifications.

Alternative entry options in relation to your background.

Note: There are no specific or special admissions options for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Please select which of the following best describes your current academic status or level of experience:

I recently completed secondary education Your entry options

The following may apply if you have:

  • completed Year 12 ATAR (or equivalent) studies at a school, TAFE or other Higher Education Provider
  • completed Year 11 ATAR subjects
  • a Year 10 or Year 12 secondary school certificate
  • studied a VET or Higher Education course while still at school

Australian Tertiary Admission Rank ATAR-related adjustments

We do not apply any types of adjustments to ATAR-based admissions.

Criteria that may apply in addition to ATAR

In addition to an overall ATAR score, you may be required to meet course and major-specific pre-requisites.

Alternative admission options

If you are unable to meet the entry requirements, you may be able to gain entry via a Supplementary Portfolio.

Special admission may be granted based on the basis of skills, competence or learning, whether formal or informal at the discretion of Director, Marketing and Admissions or Admissions Manager. This includes mature age students.

Interstate Year 12

Interstate Year 12 applicants must complete Year 12 with an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) equivalent to our minimum ATAR requirements.

Pre-requisite subjects will be evaluated using the Studies Guide from TISC.

I have completed VET studies Gaining Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

If you have:

  • enrolled in, or partially completed a VET course at TAFE* or other VET provider since leaving school
  • completed a Year 10 or Year 12 secondary school certificate
  • completed a Certificate IV in high school

*TAFE qualifications do not meet course pre-requisites.

Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) / Recognition Prior Learning (RPL)

You may apply for Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) / Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if you have successfully completed units at a similar level and standard in previous Vocational Education and Training (VET) studies.

To determine which Diploma which you may qualify for entry into, VET qualifications are assessed against the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF).

More about CRL / RPL

I have completed a higher education course If you have a higher education qualification, wish to transfer from another university or are applying for a Graduate Certificate.

You may be able to apply for Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) or Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) if you:

  • studied a higher education course (at a university or non-university higher education provider) since leaving high school
  • completed a bridging or enabling course delivered by another higher education provider

Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) / Recognition Prior Learning (RPL)

More about CRL / RPL

I have work/life experience An alternative pathway if you do not meet the minimum entry requirements for Diploma.

You may be able to study at Curtin College based on your work/life experience or via a Supplementary Portfolio if you:

  • are a mature-age student (aged 20+),
  • have completed informal courses to prepare for tertiary education or courses linked to the field of study you’re interested in.

I have qualifications from an education institution not in Australia For Australian residents who have studied overseas

If you have:

  • completed school overseas
  • completed or partially completed an undergraduate qualification overseas

Your qualifications will be assessed for comparability using, but not limited to, the following resources:

  • Australian Education International (AEI) – formerly known as The National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR) Country Education Profiles (CEPs).
  • The National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC)
  • Curtin University Matriculation Guide.

Student & ATAR Profiles

Student & ATAR Profiles are available on each course page for that course. You can also find a general Curtin College Student Profile here.

Find out more

Here are some quick links to help you find out specific entry requirements for your preferred course.

Entry Requirements English Requirements Prerequisites How to Apply

About Supplementary Portfolios

A Supplementary Portfolio may be accepted if you:

  • are an Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander (ATSI)
  • are a mature-aged student
  • are affected by a medical condition
  • have been disrupted due to multiple relocations, bereavement or other compassionate and/or compelling circumstances

It may also be used to support prior VET studies or to demonstrate work and life experience.

Entry is assessed on a case-by-case basis. Course-specific English language requirements and pre-requisites must still be met.

How to prepare and submit your Supplementary Portfolio.

If Supplementary Portfolio is an option for you, you should apply to Curtin College as usual and include your Supplementary Portfolio with your application.

Preparing your Supplementary Portfolio

1. The Supplementary Portfolio application form
2. Statement of Purpose

Your statement should answer the following questions but not exceed 4 pages:

  • Why do you wish to pursue the course you have selected? Describe how this course aligns with your interests and career goals. Which ‘major’ do you wish to complete at Curtin University?
  • How will you balance study, work and leisure activities whilst remaining fully committed to your studies?
  • What independent learning skills do you have that will assist you in completing a higher education award. How have you demonstrated those skills in your life and/or career to date?
  • What information technology skills do you have? How familiar are you with word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases, web browsers and email applications?
3. Academic qualifications

You must submit coloured or certified copies of all your transcripts and award\graduation certificates

4. Detailed Resume

This should include all your educational qualifications and work experiences to date. It should include details of any paid, unpaid, voluntary, school-based, full or part-time work. Which skills did you utilise whilst gaining this work experience?

5. Two written references

Two written references (personal or professional) to support your application.

6. Other supporting documents

Supporting documents such as medical documents or school reports supporting your eligibility for a supplementary portfolio.
If you need more information or have questions, please contact the College.

Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) / Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL)

CRL / RPL is usually based on successful completion of equivalent modules or units of study at another institution. It enables you to complete specified Diploma courses in a shorter time than normal.

Applications for credits should include unit outlines (syllabus) and certified copies of any academic transcripts. Previous studies included in your CRL application must have been completed within the last 10 years.

Requests for CRL / RPL should be made at the time of application and prior to arrival in Australia to ensure that correct visas are issued.

Approval of CRL / RPL after your student visa has been granted may require the College to report the change of course duration under Section 19 of the ESOS act. Students applying for CRL must study at least 50% of the course at the College.

How to apply for CRL / RPL

To apply for CRL / RPL, you must provide detailed unit outlines of any units that you have completed.

CRL / RPL should be applied for prior to enrolment but will be accepted up until the end of Week 4 of your study period. After Week 4, CRL / RPL may still be granted, however, the College’s Refund Policy will apply.

CRL / RPL applications will not be accepted for currently enrolled units where satisfactory academic progress has not been made.

Ask A Question
See the most recent updates on the return of international students to Western AustraliaView FAQs