The pre-arrival guide

Your pre-arrival guide is an overview of everything to do and prepare before you leave home and start your studies.

Obtaining your student visa

To obtain a student visa, you must be studying with an education provider.

You should have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) relating to your place at Curtin College. A CoE is used in the process of applying for your student visa, which is issued by the Department of Home Affairs.

Students from some countries should apply for student visas online. Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for a list of countries where students should apply for a visa online and for more information about obtaining your student visa.

If you applied for your place at Curtin College via an agent, they will help you obtain your student visa.

Once in Australia, if you are not a current student at Curtin College, you may be in breach of your student visa. A multiple entry visa will allow you to travel home for holidays and return to Australia without the need to apply for other re-entry visas.

Student visas are granted subject to certain conditions. You must:

  • Attend a minimum of 80% of all classes
  • Make satisfactory progress with your studies
  • Obtain and maintain current Overseas Student Health Cover
  • Keep the College informed at all times of your current address and contact details in Australia
  • Not work more than 40 hours per fortnight
  • Meet additional requirements applicable to minors if you are under 18

Curtin College is obliged by law to inform the Department of Home Affairs if there is a history of unsatisfactory progress. If you do not meet the minimum attendance requirements or do not make satisfactory academic progress (pass at least 50% of enrolled subjects per study period) you risk losing your visa.

View our Progress and Intervention Policy


Your pre-arrival checklist

You will need:

  • Valid Passport    
  • Student Visa
  • Familiarise yourself with our COVID-19 and travel checklist
  • Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (whether arranged by Curtin College or yourself)
  • Arrange Accommodation
  • Arrange flights
  • Arrange Airport Reception
  • Obtain Australian Currency (approximately $500 in cash & $2,500 in some other form)
  • Leave a copy of your passport, visa, & other ID with parents, relatives, or friends
  • Arrange a medical check, vision test, and dental check
  • Spare pair of glasses (if needed)
  • Any medication you need with English explanations
  • Arrange travel insurance (highly recommended for items such
  • as laptops, cameras, musical instruments, etc)
  • Review Australian quarantine policies & understand what
  • you can and cannot bring into Australia.
  • ‘Like’ the Curtin College (Official Fan Page) on Facebook
  • Prepare & acquire required items from your course-specific checklist

Important documents

You’ll need to keep these on hand

You will need these documents for orientation and throughout your stay in Australia. Please make sure you have the following available:

  • Your Welcome Letter from Curtin College
  • Certified copies of all relevant academic transcripts
  • Confirmation(s) of Enrolment (CoE or eCoE)
  • 2-4 passport size photographs Photo Identification (eg. Driver’s Licence, Proof of Age Card, etc)
  • Any medical certificates/ history/reports
  • Complete Account Creation Guide

We recommend you keep all of your documents together in your carry-on luggage (not in your checked suitcase) so that it’s easy to access at the customs and immigration checkpoints. We also advise that you photocopy all of your important documents and keep copies with you or online (plus leave a copy with a family member or friend back home).

Where will you stay?

Organising accommodation

As a Curtin College student, you have access to the same on-campus accommodation options as Curtin University students. Students who are new to Perth will be given first priority.

If you are under the age of 18, Australian Immigration requires that Curtin College approves all your accommodation and welfare arrangements before you can travel to Australia.

Visit our Accommodation page to find out about all the accommodation options available to you as a Curtin College student.

Information for minors

Important information for students under 18

A special meeting will be held on Wednesday in Week 2 of every study period. All new minors are required to attend.

Curtin College must approve all accommodation and welfare arrangements before students are granted visas and permitted to travel to Australia. This is a requirement of Australian Immigration.

Curtin College will approve your arrangements if you will be living with parents, legal guardians, other appropriate family members, or genuine family friends.

The local carer or guardian must:

  • Be living in Perth
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Be readily available for the student at all times
  • Be available to come into Curtin College if required
  • Be proficient in English
  • Have a Working with Children Check and Police Clearance (as required)

Where no carer is available, Curtin College requires that minors reside in approved Homestay accommodation.

Minors must not move from their notified accommodation without first providing a letter from their parents or legal guardians stating that they approve of the new accommodation, welfare, and general support arrangements.

While you are staying at Curtin College, a Student Advisor will contact you each study period to check that you are keeping to the arrangements outlined by your parents or legal guardians prior to your departure from your home country. It is essential that you reply to the Student Advisory Officer immediately.